Sharing from an email I received from Peddlers Village’s Public Relations Manager:
PEDDLER’S VILLAGE 32nd ANNUAL SCARECROW SEASON KICKS OFF IN ONLY ONE WEEK!
Two months of Fall Family Fun Starts Labor Day, September 6
(LAHASKA, Pa.)…Peddler’s Village kicks off two months of fall family fun on September 6 with the 32nd Annual Scarecrow Competition and Display followed by the 32nd Annual Scarecrow Festival on Saturday, September 18 and Sunday, September 19. Rain or shine. Admission and parking are free for all events.
The 32nd Annual Scarecrow Competition and Display features more than 100 colorful scarecrow creations on outdoor public exhibit Monday, September 6 through Sunday, October 24. Participants compete for $5,000 in prizes. The public votes for their favorites through September 24. Winners will be announced and posted on the Peddler’s Village website by Saturday, October 2. Prizes will be mailed the week of October 25, 2010.
Discover colorful creations entered in the following six categories:
- Quite the Character Scarecrow: Open the world of possibilities as you create a scarecrow interpretation of your favorite television character—human, animal or animated!
- Traditional/Whirligig Scarecrow: Paying homage to the scarecrows that have been “scaring crows’ from the farmers’ fields and gardens for centuries. Parts move or make noise when the wind gusts to make it a true whirligig!
- The Keystone Krow: A person, place or thing—past, present or future that says “Pennsylvania.”
- An Extraordinary Contemporary Scarecrow: Not necessarily a “Scarecrow,” more like a cutting edge creation for the garden.
- Kids Only! Scarecrow: Kids 12 and under create crows and compete with their peers.
- Group Scarecrow: A group scarecrow project for a school, church, office, club, scout troop, neighborhood, etc.
The 32nd Annual Scarecrow Festival on Saturday, September 18, and Sunday, September 19, is a weekend of family fun including scarecrow-making workshops, pumpkin pie eating contests, pumpkin painting, live musical entertainment and children’s activities. 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. both days. Rain or shine.
- The Scarecrow-Making Workshops will take place both days on the Street Road Green at 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Peddler’s Village staff will teach you how to create a unique, life-size scarecrow to take home and display. All scarecrow building materials are included in the $25 fee, maximum four people per scarecrow. Space is limited–reserve yours in advance!
Registration information is available on the website at http://peddlersvillage.com/special_events/scarecrow_workshop.htm , or for more information, please call 215-794-4000.
- Pumpkin Pie Eating Contests will be held both days at 3 p.m. on the Main Green. Categories are 10 years old and under, 11 to 14 years old and 15 years old and over. Sign up at the hospitality booth each day from 10 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. Six participants per age group, names are drawn before the contest at 3 p.m.
- Pumpkin Painting will take place on the Main Green on Sunday from 11 a.m. until supplies run out. Brushes, paint and pumpkins will be provided and a nominal fee will be charged based on pumpkin weight. No reservations are needed for this first-come, first-served activity.
Peddler’s Village has been a popular leisure destination for 48 years, attracting 1.8 million visitors annually. Located in the heart of beautiful Bucks County, Peddler’s Village consists of 70 unique specialty shops, 5 restaurants, the 70-room Golden Plough Inn, and the Giggleberry Fair family entertainment center. Enjoy free seasonal festivals and year-round family events in our colonial-style village with award winning gardens. More information is available on the Peddler’s Village website atwww.peddlersvillage.com or at 215-794-4000.